Company: US Department of Veterans Affairs
Posted on: December 5, 2018
Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System is seeking professional Psychiatrist to complete and oversee a variety of professional assignments for the treatment of patients afflicted with all spectrums and co-morbid conditions of mental disorders and substance abuse in the Mental Health Service Line. The employee performs a full range of psychiatrist assignments in a full-functioning capacity. Extensive independent judgment is required to carry out assignments that have substantial impact
on services provided. The continuous literature review to secure available guidelines, theories, principles, and practices addressing treatment and stabilization management of patients afflicted with all spectrums and co-morbid conditions of mental disorders and substance abuse.
- Participates in interdisciplinary Mental Health team to provide comprehensive mental health services in the assigned clinical setting.
- Participates in the screening, examination, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of all referred patients.
- Completes appropriate follow-up examinations and medication management of assigned patients.
- Reviews medical information on all referred and assigned patients.
- Treats mental health needs for all referred and assigned patients.
- Consults with patients, their families, other medical professionals, attorneys, and other appropriate persons to interpret clinical findings.
- Leads, facilitates and coordinates treatment planning and assigns person responsible for following-up on established goals and objectives.
- Provides formal and informal direct supervision and didactic time to residents and trainees, as established per CAVHCS policies and School of Medicine affiliated programs.
- Provides formal and informal direct supervision to assigned Physician Assistants or Nurse Practitioners.
- Provides immediate feedback to assigned Physician Assistants or Nurse Practitioners and evaluation comments for their annual performance appraisals.
- Directs and instructs nurses, other professional support staff, attendants, and residents in the care and treatment of patients
- Prescribes medications for the treatment of physical and psychological disorders, within approved clinical privileges.
- Attends and participates in general and teaching conferences as assigned.
- Pursues and receives advanced training in the field of pharmacological, behavioral, cognitive and motivational therapies, crisis interventions and treatment compliance to enhance these areas of expertise for all CAVHCS.
- Provides consultation services to other disciplines within Mental Health, across service lines and the VISN.
- Plans, develops and implements formal education activities.
- Provides coverage for other inpatient Psychiatrists and required.
- Serves a Psychiatrist Officer of the Day for on-call duties during non-administrative hours, weekends and holidays as assigned.
- Abides to all patient Care, Documentation policies and ECMS Bylaws.
Work Schedule: (8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday thru Friday) Weekends & Evenings Occasionally
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: Board Certified
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Keywords: US Department of Veterans Affairs, Montgomery , Psychiatrist, Healthcare , Montgomery, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!