Director of Nursing (DON)
Company: Wexford Health
Posted on: June 11, 2021
Making a dramatic difference in the lives of
our patients is what we do every day.
Help us Raise the
correctional health care.
Director of Nursing
position at Bullock Correctional Facility
Time, Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- RN License in the state of
- Minimum of 2-3 years of management
or supervisory nursing experience
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
of Nursing (DON) is responsible and accountable for structuring
comprehensive planning and implementing the
program that guides the delivery of a
quality health care program. Also responsible for delivery
of patient care through the nursing process of assessment,
planning, implementation and evaluation as needed. Directs
and guides patient teaching activities and ancillary personnel,
while maintaining standards of professional nursing.
Direct supervision from Health Services Administrator and
Statewide Director of Nursing
Direct supervision of all Assistant Directors of Nursing, Charge
Nurses, RNs, LPNs, and NAs.
Interacts with all health care unit personnel, site
administration staff, security staff, clinical providers, regional
team members and corporate staff as required.
- Participate and/or direct planning, priority setting and the
development of policies and procedures for health care activities
that are in compliance with contractual requirements, Department of
Corrections and national standards.
- Coordinate and monitor orientation, in-services and continuing
education within Nursing Services. Responsible for
coordinating and providing clinical orientation and nursing
- Coordinate the development, provision and evaluation of patient
care according to the standards of quality care.
- Conduct recruitment/retention efforts for Nursing
- Participate in the development and administration of a budget
for Nursing Services.
- Participates in and chair Nursing Services committees (e.g.,
Utilization Review, Quality Assurance, Infection Control, etc.)
develop and implement procedures, audits and nursing
- Receive and review daily outpatient and infirmary reports
- Conduct regular meetings with nursing staff and ensure the
practice of nursing is consistent with current standards.
- Act as Administrator on call for nursing emergencies or nursing
- Develop and maintain staff schedule for Nursing Service in
accordance with contract terms of nursing coverage.
Responsible for making changes in time schedules, and
granting special requests for time off, if applicable.
- Serve as representative for, and/or liaison between, nursing
services and other health care providers, as well as Health
Services Administrator, and coordinate patient care with other
- Provide guidance to the nursing staff in patient care problems
and following established protocols, and delegate responsibility
within the scope of the employee’s abilities
- Support and participate in evaluation designed to improve work
conditions and patient care. Evaluate employees’ performance to
ensure and maintain quality care.
- Keep abreast of and follow through on incidents occurring on
- Review all discrepancies in sharps and tool counts,
investigate, reconcile and forward written findings to the Health
- Review all medication errors and forward written findings to
the Health Services Administrator.
- Prepare and submit monthly reports to the Health Services
- Assist in responding to applicable grievances.
- Assess established policies and review policies as needed.
- Submit monthly report of audits.
Current Alabama Registered Nursing license
Current CPR Certification
Graduate of an accredited nursing school; BSN, preferred
Minimum two to three (2-3) years of experience in a supervisory
nursing role, preferred
Minimum of two (2) years of administrative and/or correctional
nursing experience preferred
Other preferred knowledge,
skills and abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- General math and analytical skills, and planning,
administrative and organizational skills essential.
- Demonstrated experience meeting multiple deadlines. Must
ensure documents are ready for review well in advance of any
- Ability to competently manage multiple priorities
- Ability to work in a stressful environment.
- Must be able assist staff with various policies, administrative
and organizational projects. "Team-player" as this position
requires daily coordination with other coworkers.
Keywords: Wexford Health, Montgomery , Director of Nursing (DON), Other , Tuskegee, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!